Sunday, July 27, 2014

Dining At Pier 6


It was a bright and slightly breezy night when we headed over to Pier 6 in the Navy Yard for dinner recently, located on 8th Street just two streets over from Old Ironsides.  Perched right on the harbor, with sweeping views of the city, we had reserved the Captain's Table. The table is set off into a small alcove just off the main dining room, open air with a roof overhang and has a door one can close to minimize the dining room clatter, perfect for a special occasion.


We began with a refreshing 21st Amendment Watermelon Wheat, very light and not overly fruity, perfect for a summer night such as the one we were enjoying.


With the Zakim Bridge off to one side and the boats sailing the harbor on the other, the view was part of the experience and great from either seat.


I started with the Fried Oysters, served with a house made tartar sauce and very fresh.  I liked the fact that these were not overly breaded or too deeply fried.


My dining companion for the evening went with the Lobster Chowder.  Filled with lobster meat, leeks, sweet potato and bacon, the base is made with a manzanilla sherry and the flavor profiles are both rich and subtle. Very good.


Bacon-Wrapped Monkfish was the special of the night and we were very glad we chose to sample it.  Firm and flavorful with a taste of the sea, we savored every morsel.


The Sea Scallops.  What is better than fresh scallops on a beautiful summer night?  A carrot-cumin puree, fresh peas and pea greens with a golden raisin brown butter also dressed the plate.  I absolutely loved that the peas were raw, taking me back to to the days of my youth in Maine spent picking peas in the early summer and eating them shucked and raw right from the basket on the way home.


For dessert: this Cheesecake Brownie.  The vanilla sauce with ground coffee nibs slathered the plate.  We spooned out every drop.


My Butterscotch Pudding was just as good, elevating me past those horrible things served in school lunches that almost made me swear it off forever.  If you can relate, get this dessert. It's a palate-changer.


One of the best parts f the Captain's Table is the amazing light show over the Boston skyline as you dine.  As the sun sets the whole look of the city changes every five minutes or so, the sky going from blue to pink, the puffy clouds drifting by, the little sailboats and big yachts both sailing by and when the lights begin to twinkle after the sun goes down it reminds me of why I could never live anywhere else but here.

As I tweeted (@TheBostonFoodie) and Instagrammed (@TheBostonFoodie) the ever-changing views from my catbird seat I began to get messages from friends asking me exactly where I was and it is, indeed, a hidden secret I almost hate to give up, a vantage point that most Bostonians don't even know about.  Yet, I have and I would strongly recommend you try it out this summer, even if just for a relaxing cocktail and appetizer as the sun disappears from the sky.

The Captain's Table is not advertised by Pier 6, unseen with online reservations and solely available upon request, an exclusive enclave and precisely the kind of spot we love to share with our readers and followers.  When you go, do call ahead and request the table.  It is, without doubt, the best seat in the house.

Pier 6
Thompson Square
Navy Yard, Boston, MA 02129
Telephone:  617.337.0054

No comments:

Post a Comment